This weekend we were working mostly inside the house. I wasn’t in the garden much, besides half an hour or so chopping kindling for the fire in the icy rain, which nevertheless melted away the last of our snow. Obviously I have made a mistake in allowing my phenomenal axe-handling skills to be witnessed by King of the Hill, as it now forces me outside most weekends in all weathers.
Mind you, I do get a warm sense of satisfaction at shaping the wood to my will, especially when I manage to tame a particularly unwieldy knot to break apart. And he is usually not far away, arranging the woodstores, or chopping up much larger logs with either the chainsaw or the huge axe that I can barely lift, let alone swing.
Besides lots of hard work on getting the house ready for visitors at Christmas: scrubbing and re-sealing yet more swathes of slate floors, unpacking and finding homes for more long-lost items from our treasure trove of boxes, now restored to our possession, I did find a little time to do something garden-related, albeit from the warm comfort of our study. I made a dozen seed packets to safely store the harvested seeds that have been sitting around, in plastic pots or slovenly scattered across the windowsills.
I used A4 sheets of recycled cotton paper made with rice husks, which give a lovely textural finish ideal for what I had in mind. After one rather wasteful attempt that elicited a single packet from one sheet, with lots of unusable paper left over, I quickly formulated a plan with almost no wastage, and no tedious measuring and template creation or tracing.
Each sheet of paper I folded in half lengthwise, and then cut along the crease to give me two long rectangles.
With each rectangle in turn I then proceeded to make a packet, as follows: I folded about a centimetre into the wrong side of the paper along each long edge, then made a slightly larger fold at one of the short ends.
I then folded the resulting rectangle in half across the short width.
I pinched all the creases to make them sharp, then unfolded the paper again slightly, in order to cut away the unwanted paper: with the short flap at the top, I cut away the two small corner rectangles on either side, and the two long side segments of the bottom rectangle, as illustrated.
I rounded the corners of the top and side flaps slightly, then folded up the bottom rectangle so that it lay beneath all the flaps, before applying glue to the two long side flaps.
These side flaps I then stuck down, and lo and behold: my seed packet was ready to fill with seeds.
I even found a silver pen to scrawl the contents and date onto each packet. A quick and easy way to make pretty little packets for the rampant seeds that were scattered about the house.